Thursday 14 January 2016

Parable of the Sower: Thorns in My Life

I was reading in Matthew this evening and came across the parable of the sower in 13:1-22. If you need a refresher on what it's all about just re-read verses 18-22. I'm not going to summarize here. What really stuck out to me this time through was the seed that fell in the thorns. Sometimes I feel a lot like a plant growing up among thorns, trying to choke out my spirit and fellowship with God.
We often plant our own thorns, don't we? Jesus mentioned "worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth," but I can think of a couple more things that draw our hearts and minds away from our Creator. Worldly music, secular movies, trouble-making friends-- all things that we place or keep in our lives by choice. Yet, they are some of the most prevalent things that keep my mind distracted with the things of this world. Pray that I can work them out and have the discretion and wisdom to know when God isn't participating!

1 comment:

  1. Very wise thoughts, indeed. Thanks for sharing. xoxo Mom

    ReplyDelete